Youth in foster care can make many decisions about sexual and reproductive health on their own.
Sexual and reproductive health includes:
- Sex, love and relationships
- Sexual orientation & gender
- Forms of birth control
- STI prevention & treatment
- Body awareness
As a foster youth, YOU have sexual and reproductive health rights. You have the right to:
- Choose and have birth control that works for you
- Get transportation to a clinic in a timely manner
- Choose your own doctor and clinic
- Keep your sexual health information private
For a full list of your sexual and reproductive health rights and for more information, visit the following sites:
MyLifeMyRights.org: This website is a guide to getting an education, getting a job, and getting on with life after foster care.
Teenparent.net: This website is for foster youth who are expecting or parenting, which includes information on financial help, childcare, mental health, dating violence, and much more.
KnowB4Ugo.org The mission of Know Before You Go is to empower youth to become their own advocates, armed with the knowledge and information they need to succeed in work, school and life.
TeenHealthRights.org: A guide with information about your rights to sex, pregnancy, and parenting.
The LA RHEP convenes a Youth Advisory Board that is made up of current and former foster youth who reside in LA County. They are passionate about lending their voice and expertise to change the current landscape of the foster care system with a focus on sexual and reproductive health.
In order to participate on the Youth Advisory Board, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 26 at the time of the application;
- Be a current or former foster youth (all sexual orientations, genders, and gender identities);
- Reside in Los Angeles County;
- Have an interest in improving reproductive and sexual health care services for foster youth.
Youth Advisory Board members receive a stipend and professional development opportunities.
We invite new members to the Board on a rotating schedule. If you have any questions or would like to find out more, please contact Lesli LeGras Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org